RE: Last Call: draft-ogud-iana-protocol-maintenance-words (Definitions for expressing standards requirements in IANA registries.) to BCP

> If the real reason for this draft is to set conformance levels for
> DNSSEC (something that I strongly support), then it should be a one-page
> RFC that says "This document defines DNSSEC as these RFCs, and implementations
> MUST support these elements of that IANA registry". Then, someone can conform
> or not conform to that very concise RFC. As the conformance requirements
> change, the original RFC can be obsoleted by new ones. That's how the IETF
> has always done it; what is the problem with doing it here?

Second that. Let's not overload the registry. As Edward Lewis wrote in another message, "The job of a registry is to maintain the association of objects with identities." If the WG wants to specify mandatory-to-implement functions or algorithms, the proper tool is to write an RFC.

-- Christian Huitema