Re: Last Call: draft-ogud-iana-protocol-maintenance-words (Definitions for expressing standards requirements in IANA registries.) to BCP

John,

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 10:01:26AM -0400, John C Klensin wrote:

> Interestingly, a few mechanisms for handling that sort of
> narrative and organizing information were extensively discussed
> several years ago.

Thanks for this.  Do you know whether any of this got as far as being
written in an I-D, or was it just a discussion?  I'll go trolling for
expired I-Ds if I know they might be out there.

Another idea that's been floating around has simply been to put up a
wiki to support all of this, and do it all as a kind of non-normative
support function.  What worries me about that is the (IMO strong)
chance that such a wiki would be badly maintained, but would gain
currency because of its convenience.  But maybe that doesn't matter
too much: if we can't be bothered to maintain such a resource, then
either making our stuff easy to use isn't important to us, or we don't
actually care about conformance as much as we say we do, or both.

> If your "broad outline" describes the problem you and Olafur are
> trying to solve, I suggest that overloading the information into
> IANA registries is the wrong solution, independent of whether
> the particular choices of words, etc., are correct.

Just to be clear, I'm responding to all of this without a hat.  I had
no input to the writing of the draft, though I've read it.  I do have
a problem in the WG I co-chair with Olafur, though, so I'm primarily
interested in solving that.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Shinkuro, Inc.