Re: What day is 2010-01-02

On 17 mrt 2010, at 14:59, Yao Jiankang wrote:

>> But if someone can't figure yout 2010-01-02 then maybe they're not our audience.

> there are two kinds of audience: those who understand 2010-01-02 by usual way and those who understand 2010-01-02 by unusual way.

> your logic reasoning seems to be simlar to:

> if you don't understand the ietf draft (ietf rfc, ietf discussion, .....), you are not ietf audience.

There needs to be a healthy balance between the effort expended to make something clear and the effort expended to understand something. RFCs can get pretty complex. Someone who can't figure out what 2010-01-02 is supposed to mean with all the resources of the internet available to him/her is going to have a hard time understanding RFCs.

An anthropologist may approach the situation open minded and don't make any assumption about whether this is yyyy-mm-dd or yyyy-dd-mm, but anoyone with even the slightest exposure to engineering will understand that the only logical continuation of yyyy- can only be mm-dd.

(Although the exposure to non-standard ways of doing things may make this harder for Americans.)