Re: Why the normative form of IETF Standards is ASCII

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 8:54 AM, Martin Rex <mrex@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> The existing plaintext ASCII format is easy and univerval.  Any more
> fancy document formats come with plenty of problems and infinitesimal
> close to zero benefit.

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGH!!!!

... which is the only contribution a relatively sane person can make
to this debate at this point in history.

Oh, except for this data point. I have offered, and now repeat the
offer: At the point the IETF decides to improve the
internationalization, usability, accessibility, and longevity of its
specification format by recognizing some of the progress of the last
thirty years, I will commit to offering some cycles to help with tools
and specs, as appropriate.  I'm sure there are others as well.  -Tim