RE: [77attendees] High Assurance Cryptographic API Bar BoF at IETF 77 in Anaheim, CA

Meadhbh,

A major use case that's lacking in the standards you mention is support for security domain separation. In high assurance environments, a crypto device typically separates two security domains (protected & unprotected), performing cryptographic operations at the boundary. The existing standards operate within a single domain-- they enable a crypto device to accept data to be cryptographically transformed and return the results directly to the caller who initiated the operation.

This type of high assurance use case is common with diplomatic and military communications and shows opportunity in sensitive commercial enterprises like banking, as well. Specialized cryptographic hardware designed specifically for these types of environments is available.  So, we're not talking about tokens or smart cards, although potential solutions (like the one we've proposed) can accommodate those use cases as well. Nonetheless, you'd probably be better off using something like Cryptoki for those situations.

For an introduction to this problem domain, see section 1.4 in our Internet-Draft:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-lanz-cicm-00#section-1.4

If you're interested, but can't attend the bar BoF, you can still participate via the mailing list:

Regards,

Lev