RE: Last Call: draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-ao-crypto ...

ah@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hello,
> draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-ao-crypto-02 intends to make
> mandatory-to-implement for TCP-AO two MAC algorithms,
> HMAC-SHA-1-96 and AES-128-CMAC-96, as well as two related KDFs.
>
> IIRC, other WG(s) have been advised last year by important stakeholders
> (in particular NIST) to not standardize new use cases (e.g. in IPsec)
> of the CMAC / CCM Modes of Operation for a block cipher primitive,
> in favor of the GMAC / GCM Modes of Operation, because of the
> significant performance benefits of the latter modes.

Could you provide some pointers to this advise?  As the responsible
Area Director for IPSECME WG (and a contributor to several IPsec
documents), I do not recall seeing any advice that would match
your description.

(But it wouldn't be unheard of that I've missed some emails..)

Best regards,
Pasi