Re: DNSCurve vs. DNSSEC - FIGHT! (was OpenDNS today announced it has adopted DNSCurve to secure DNS)

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 1:07 AM, Masataka Ohta
<mohta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>>As I read the draft, it seems to me that DNSCurve without Curve
>>>(that is, with 96 bit nonce of DNSCurve as an extended message
>>>ID without elliptic curve cryptography) is secure enough.
>
>> Except from players that can see the query.
>
> That's not a new cryptographical problem.
>
> As DNSCurve protection is like DH, it is subject to MitM attacks,
> which is no different from simple nonce.

Not really. I Don't know what you mean by simple nonce, but as I
understand dnscurve if implemented properly would have ssh-style
authentication. Only the first request of the server key is vulnerable
with mitm. Then it should be cached.

regards,
Nikos