Re: draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-gost

Stephen Kent wrote:

> I recommend that the document not be approved by the IESG in its
> current form.  Section 6.1 states:
>
> >6.1.  Support for GOST signatures
> >
> >    DNSSEC aware implementations SHOULD be able to support RRSIG and
> >    DNSKEY resource records created with the GOST algorithms as
> >    defined in this document.
>
> There has been considerable discussion on the security area
> directorate list about this aspect of the document. All of the SECDIR
> members who participated in the discussion argued that the text in
> 6.1 needs to be changed to MAY from SHOULD. The general principle
> cited in the discussion has been that "national" crypto algorithms
> like GOST ought not be cited as MUST or SHOULD in standards like
> DNESEC. I refer interested individuals to the SECDIR archive for
> details of the discussion.

I agree with Stephen Kent.  That needs to be a MAY.

GOST is IMHO _not_ mature enough and not sufficiently understood and
availble to justify a SHOULD or RECOMMENDED for its support/use
in a core internet protocol.

Over the past year we had our SSL/TLS supplier add support for GOST
TLS ciphersuites to add OEM SSL/TLS implementation (in form of a
third-party crypto plugin that can be certified by the relevant
russian authorities).

One of the problems with GOST is its lack of availability of
documentation/specification and the meaning, purpose and
characteristics of algorithm parameters.

Admittedly, I know very little about the cryptographic
details, but there are two GOST signature algorithms
(GOST R34.10-1994 and GOST R34.10-2001). The earlier
appears to bear some similarity with DH, the newer appears to bear
similarity with ECDH.  Whether and how much the -1994 version is
deprecated is also a complete mystery.  There are IETF documents listing
specific algorithm Identifier parameters (sets), referenced by OIDs,
and those OIDs are issued by one particular company.  I haven't
seen any documentation about the characteristics, purpose of
these algorithm parameters sets and the means/process to define
other parameter (sets).

-Martin