Re: Motivation to submit an idea in IETF?

> I expect them, but I do get mad about patent trolls "bleeding the golden
> goose".  The only reason these patents have any value is because the
> Internet has value.  When people who contribute nothing to that value
> then come along and parasitize it,

Can I patent/copyright that statement ? :-).

Abhishek, if your idea is a good one that can contribute to the
networking community, I'd first make sure it is original, search/read
drafts or associated papers to see if by any chance somebody already
had the idea before, if you don't find anything you can publish a
paper and propose a draft. If your idea is original, has value and
represents an improvement or additional feature to a protocol after
surviving the grueling process of peer reviews and discussions then
you may have something worth the effort/cost/time to get a patent.

I the "implementation" of your idea provides value in the sense that
may help them sell more or provide a better service, vendors will
include it in their products.

If you are just for the money, then wrong forum.

My .02