RE: Visas to China

Fred Baker [mailto://fred@xxxxxxxxx] writes:
> I'll echo Ole and Brian. In general, I find the Chinese consulate/
> embassy not very demanding. If you have a business reason for a multi-
> entry visa, get one, but in general the standard tourist visa is
> simplest to get and works fine.
>
> Not advertising the service, but to give you an idea of what it looks
> like, I'll point you at the web site of the company Cisco uses for
> visas.
>       http://www.peninsulavisa.com/russia-.htm
> To get a visa to China, you need a visa application (download from the
> web site) and a color "passport" photo. If you go for a "business"
> visa, you need some demonstration of the business. "business" implies
> you're trying to sell something or staying there for an extended
> duration; to attend a conference such as an IETF meeting one generally
> gets a tourist visa. Some countries need letters of invitation; I
> would expect the host will have a facility up to get such.
>
> The visa process at the Chinese Embassy is usually on the order of a
> week; safety would suggest two. My multiple entry visa will expire
> just before the meeting, so I plan to file for a new visa sometime in
> October.

I, too, have been to China a number of times and by far the most painless
visa acquisition process I've experienced was at the embassy here in
Bangkok: I just filled in a small portion of the application, handed it & my
passport over to some Thai folks with a desk just outside the door & came
back to pick up my multiple-entry visa 2 days later.  Total cost (above the
standard fees): about $20.  If you have a couple of extra days in your
schedule, I can highly recommend it (at least for US citizens).