Re: Defining the existence of non-existent domains

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 1:56 PM, John Levine <johnl@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>It therefore seems to me to be not a bad idea to have an RFC or IANA
>>registry for the "reserved names", in ICANN parlance.  It would also
>>be good if some operational rules about what "reserved names" means
>>were in an RFC somewhere (for instance, are there different classes
>>of "reserved" names?  Why?
>
> Yes, that's what I'm trying to get at.  As far as I can tell, there
> are at least three different kinds of reserved names.  Names like
> .INVALID and .TEST are reserved forever and will never be delegated.
> Names like .IETF and .RIPE are names of identified Internet
> infrastructure organizations who could in principle have the name
> delegated to them.  Names like .QQ are reserved until some third party
> (ISO 3166 in this case) says something about them.

Remove the leading dots, ICANN and IANA related names are reserved at
2nd and all levels.

Current registry agreement says: "Labels Reserved at All Levels. The
following names shall be reserved at the second level and at all other
levels within the TLD at which Registry Operator makes registrations"

Jorge