RE: WG Review: Internet Wideband Audio Codec (codec)

Hi Robert,

>    Date:        Wed, 23 Dec 2009 09:15:01 -0800 (PST)
>    From:        IESG Secretary <iesg-secretary@xxxxxxxx>
>
>Given ...
>
>  | There exist codecs that can be widely implemented and easily
>  | distributed, but that are not standardized through any
>SDO; according to
>  | reports, this lack of standardization and clear change control has
>  | hindered adoption of such codecs in interactive Internet
>applications.
>
>(quoted from the proposed charter) it seems to me that the
>primary goal of this (proposed) WG should be to pick one (or
>perhaps more)
>of those, and standardise it (ie: document it).   As long as you're
>not infringing anyone's IP by doing that, the problem looks
>solved, without the need to invent yet another...  (it doesn't
>matter if the authors of the codec go and change it, that
>changed version would not be the IETF standard version, just
>the one in he RFC - until a revised RFC is published, of course.)

That's something for the working group to figure out.
My experience: things are typically more complicated than they initially
look like.

>kre
>
>ps: the proposed charter goes on for way too long about why
>encumbered technology isn't the right solution, if at all
>possible - most of that
>is not (or should not be) needed here.   It isn't wrong, just
>unnecessary.

WG charters are also written for those who have not followed the history
of the work very closely. These folks typically need a bit more
background information.

Ciao
Hannes