Re: Last Call: draft-jabley-sink-arpa (The Eternal Non-Existence of SINK.ARPA (and other stories)) to BCP

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 11:14 PM, John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Olafur,
>
> It seems to me that Ted's message asks for more clarity about
> what is being specified, actual review by email-related groups
> of email-related records and their implications, and so on.
> Certainly I agree with those requests and concerns.  Your
> response is fine, except I have no idea what is actually going
> to get done, and what those reviews will produce, until I see
> the results.  And those issues are sweeping enough that I really
> wish the Last Call would be terminated and restarted only when
> those reviews, and a document that reflects them, is in place.
>
> >From that point of view, I'm objecting less to the content of
> this proposal (as far as it goes), but to the fact that the
> ducks don't seem to be lined up prior to its going out to IETF
> Last Call.  The comments below are more substantive.

Hi John,

My take on this is that this idea is worth exploring, and this document
can take us down the right road for that by adding the caching clarification
and removing the examples.  Removing the apparent force of the examples by
clarifying that they indicate potential future lines of exploration rather than
worked updates to the relevant standards also works for me.  If we
want to explore
the idea in a .bogus.arpa subdomain rather than using sink.arpa, I
don't think that's
a big deal one way or the other.

The real question for me is how do we get off the chicken-and-egg problem?
If we have no document specifying the behavior of a guaranteed non-existent
name, it is hard to get much actual deployment and experience, and I think
that's what is required here.  We may well find that this works in some contexts
and fails utterly in others, based on the silly domain name tricks pulled on
a per-application basis.  But we can't find that out easily without an agreed
upon way of trying this.

Maybe that makes this an experiment; maybe it makes it a likely-to-be-ephemeral
best current practice.  But it does get the egg hatched, and that seems to be
useful to me.

regards,

Ted Hardie