RE: Most bogus news story of the week

> The trick here is that the question is not so simple (or the answer to the question is not so simple).
> I was myself working with launching Internet in Europe from -87 and sure, we had to pay quite a lot to
> get our first connection to ISPs (then only in the US) so I am pretty sure I have been in the situation
> you talk about. "That we thought the situation was unfair."

Back in 1988, the cost a 64kbps connection between the south of France and New Jersey was about $50K per year. The price of the connection between the south of France and Paris was about the same. Technology drove down the cost of the transatlantic connection. Deregulation drove down the price of the French connection. Deregulation also boosted the availability of the Internet in France.

-- Christian Huitema