Re: [TLS] Last Call: draft-ietf-tls-renegotiation (Transport Layer

On 2009-12-02 09:08 PST, Chris Newman wrote:
> --On December 2, 2009 15:19:53 +0100 Martin Rex <mrex@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>>>    As draft-ietf-tls-renegotiation allows use of either the cipher suite
>>>    value or the extension for C->S signaling, that mitigates the concern
>>>    --  the field can choose the mechanism that works best.
>>
>> I consider this a defect in draft-ietf-tls-renegotiation-01.
>> There should be exactly **ONE** signaling mechanism for the initial
>> ClientHello on a connection so that extensions-tolerant but
>> extensions-free Servers will not be force to wade through lists
>> of extensions sent by clients.
>
> I'd be fine with one signaling mechanism as long as it's the mechanism
> that's been standardized since 2006 and backwards-compatible with correct
> implementations since 1999 (TLS 1.0).

+1

> If we're misusing a cipher suite value as a protocol extensibility flag,
> an issue I'm willing to compromise on despite the lack of strong evidence
> it's necessary, we unfortunately need two signaling mechanisms: one
> that's standard that we know will work with modern correct
> implementations, and one a kludge that works with very old software, but
> might break good-faith modern implementations (like the middlebox straw
> man above).
>
>> The existing fallbacks or conservative approaches give you a hint where
>> you may expect interop problems.  TLS extensions are a known interop
>> problem.

 ... for servers that have never been conformant with the standards that
require them to ignore unknown extensions, yes.  Another way to say this is:
non-conformant servers are a known interop problem for conformant clients.
That fact is manifestly obvious now, as we see attempts to retroactively
codify the behavior of those non-conformant servers as we try to fix this
problem.

> While I've seen evidence of bugs in TLS extension handling, and backwards
> compatibility fallback code that's been present in browsers since 1999,
> I've seen no evidence that extensions are an interoperability problem for
> correct standards-compliant TLS implementations or that such fallback code
> is necessary in operation today.

+1.