Re: silly legal boilerplate, was Regarding RIM's recent IPR disclosures

>It is a standard footer attached automatically by many attorney's
>email systems to all outgoing mail.

Many non-attorneys' mail, too, as in this case.

Yes, it's silly: as far as I can tell, confidentiality claims like
this are entirely unenforcable in the US except in a few arcane
situations that only apply to messages from one attorney to another.
It's just another example of pseudo-legal nonsense running amok.

But I have often been sorely tempted to return messages like this with
boilerplate of my own explaining that since I cannot accept the
sender's alleged restrictions, the message has been returned unread,
and since I have no way to evaluate the sender's status relative to
the party applying the notice, disclaimers in a message saying to
ignore the boilerplate won't help.

R's,
John