Re: If you found today's plenary debate on standards track tedious...

It is really hard to keep management backing for a standards process
that does not deliver standards.

I know that there are some people in the IETF who would very much like
to see the commercial entities banished. And to some extent that has
happened, there is a reason that IBM and Microsoft put more resources
into OASIS and W3C and I do not think it is because they have more
influence there.

We are also seeing fewer academics.

I don't think that you want participation in IETF activities to be
limited to the few people fortunate enough to have managers who
understand the nature of the organization and a few individuals of
private means.

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 8:30 PM, Loa Andersson <loa@xxxxx> wrote:
> Adrian,
>
> I think both statements are true.
>
> I've seen operators putting almost any RFC in RFPs, (actually done
> it myself) STD, DS, PS, Informational, Experimental, Historic and
> April 1st. An RFC is an RFC is an RFC!
>
> On the other hand talking to folks active in other SDOs you very
> often hear the "no standards" argument.
>
> Renaming without changing definitions should part of the job.
>
> /Loa
>

> Adrian Farrel wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> From the perspective of the world outside the IETF, this is already  the
>>> case.  An RFC is an RFC is an RFC...
>>
>> I don't think this is a truth universally acknowledged.
>>
>> I have heard the IETF disparaged a number of times on account of "hardly
>> having any standards". For example, a full Standard is equated by some
>> people with an ITU-T Recommendation with the implication that a DS and PS
>> are significantly inferior to a Recommendation.
>>
>> Whatever we might think of the value of this statement and the motives of
>> the people who make it, it is clear that the names of the different levels
>> of RFC are perceived outside the IETF.
>>
>> Over dinner this evening we wondered whether something as simple as
>> looking again at the names of the stages in the three phase RFC process
>> might serve to address both the perceptions and the motivations for
>> progression.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Adrian
>
> --
>

> Loa Andersson                         email: loa.andersson@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> Sr Strategy and Standards Manager            loa@xxxxx
> Ericsson Inc                          phone: +46 10 717 52 13
>                                             +46 767 72 92 13

New Website: http://hallambaker.com/
View Quantum of Stupid podcasts, Tuesday and Thursday each week,
http://quantumofstupid.com/