Re: NAT Not Needed To Make Renumbering Easy

On 25 Oct 2009, at 17:42, Noel Chiappa wrote:

From: Sabahattin Gucukoglu <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

in particular: we need a simple way to express host relationships
inside an organisation that is independent of external homing.

Well, it would really help if we had more namespaces available to name
things in. Oh, wait...

It needn't be so bad.  There are basically two solutions:

1. We rely on everybody to instantly fall in love with NND+SAC, taking care of the "Network" layer. We devise a language, syntax, rules or whatever it is to describe nodes inside a variable-length prefix assigned by an RIR, that people who ought to know better can write their firewall rules and their DHCP server configurations and their management tools and whatever with. This happens at the "Application" layer, and applies the simplicity of rehoming (or maybe even multihoming) to every situation where the primary prefix is the only variable. Since it performs its duties on a presumably infrequent basis, the implementation does not have to be at all low- level.

Or:

2. We give up all hope of avoiding NAT, even point-to-point NAT, and either devise the ultimate NAT-PMP replacement to make the application layer know about the deception happening (or write an API overload that makes the same thing happen in sockets) or rewrite or adjust all protocols, or replacements for protocols, so that they don't have to know or care about translation.

I'm for 1, though perhaps somebody could explain why the latter option in 2 is infeasible and/or principally violates good protocol design (encryption, performance loss and all that notwithstanding). Did FTP really need to be so damned inconvenient to run behind a NAT?

Cheers,
Sabahattin