RE: [mpls] Last Call: draft-ietf-mpls-tp-oam-requirements,> (Requirementsfor OAM in MPLS Transport Networks) to Proposed Standard

Hello Yaacov,

You wrote:

I rescind my first comment,
but stand by my second one.

This was your second, with my comments [hvh] in-line:

> Second, "that the mechanisms in Y.1731 are sufficiently
> simple to allow some "hardwarization".

[hvh] this HW already exists, as was mentioned at the IETF75
      when draft-bhh-mpls-tp-oam-y1731 was discussed.

> The other main fault with Y.1731 is its fracturing of
> the capabilities among so many different OAM message types,
> rather than realizing that there are really only two OAM types
> (one way and reflecting), with options for various monitoring
> or  measurement functions.

[hvh] a better way to divide the messages is by "pro-active"
      and "on-demand". The set of pro-active should be as small
      as possible and combine different capabilities as much
      as possible.

> If you only need CCMs, yes Y.1731 is easy (but so is any other
> heartbeat format).

[hvh] note that CCM supports CC + CV (for signal fail detection)
      + PM (for signal degrade detection) + fault reporting (RDI)
      in a single message.
      There are only two more pro-active messages: AIS and LCK
      and only one of CCM, AIS and LCK will be active at the same
      time.

> Once you want to do CCs, CCs for protection (G.8031/G.8032
> require their own),

[hvh] NO. CCM is used to trigger protection, 1+1 linear
      protection does not need additional messages, 1:1 and
      ring protection require a message to synchronise the
      status of the nodes involved in the protection.
      This would be the only message that can be active at
      the same time as CCM, however only on the protection
      channel.

> packet loss measurement, and delay measurement, it becomes
> a nightmare.

[hvh] I disagree, these are message used only on-demand and
      they will not be active at the same time. Only five are
      currently defined: LB. LT, LM, DM, 1DM.

Regards, Huub.