Re: Local Beijing people response - RE: Request for community guidance on issue concerning a future meeting of the IETF

> Some folk say that we should ignore the language in the draft contract,
> because it will not be enforced, except under extreme circumstances.  First,
> it is never appropriate for people signing a contract to assume that it
> won't be enforced, especially when they cannot really know the exact
> conditions that will cause it to be enforced.  (The term "fiduciary
> responsibility" covers this.) Second, these assurances are coming from
> people who cannot speak for the hotel or the government.  Hence, they are
> merely guessing.

This is true, however there is another path that could be taken. Let the host
sign the contract. Then, engage with the PRC government, explain the situation
to them, and ask them to help avoid an embarrassing situation by providing
assurances in writing, to the IETF, the hotel and the host, that the government
does not support/encourage taking actions against the IETF in reaction to the
actions of some individuals. If individuals break the laws and violate
the customs
of China, let them bear the full brunt of the law, but not the IETF.

Obviously this is not an easy path to take because it takes a lot of patience
and probably many failed attempts at contacting someone in authority who
is willing to seriously dialogue with the IETF. You could try talking to the
Beijing police, you could try asking the hotel and the host for their government
contacts, and you could try working through various PRC embassies.

But the bottom line is that if the IETF does agree to Beijing and the contract
is signed and some incident takes place at the meeting, and the hotel or
government shut down the entire IETF meeting as a result, it would be a great
embarrassment to the People's Republic of China.

Having said that, I've no doubt that the PRC government already has some idea
who could prove to be an embarrassment and those people will not get their
visas delivered in time to go to the meeting. But it is still worth
having the dialogue
with the PRC government.

--Michael Dillon