Re: [sasl] Last Call: draft-ietf-sasl-scram

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 02:00:58PM +0200, Simon Josefsson wrote:
> I'm hesitant to bring this up because it has so many other concerns, but
> if you are looking for alternatives, another one is to flag the
> normalization algorithm used in the protocol.  E.g., add a flag
> 'c=saslprep' or 'c=net-utf-8' or 'c=utf-8'.  This makes it possible to
> apply a better heuristic on the server side.  Or treat normalization
> like the hash algorithm, since it is also an continuously evolving and
> apparently never-perfected technology, and make the mechanism name
> SCRAM-SHA-1-SASLPREP or SCRAM-SHA-1-NET-UTF-8.  (You can figure out the
> problems with this approach as good as I can, so I won't go into them..)

It doesn't really help because it'd have to be the server telling the
client what the user's password's form is -- not the other way around.
Chances are the password's been hashed already; recovering from use of a
different NF (or just-utf-8) is not going to be feasible.