Re: [rfc-i] path forward with RFC 3932bis

Aaron,

This morning I reviewed the IETF web pages, the Tao, the IRTF web pages, and Wikipedia entries on these two organizations. The way this material portrays the IETF and the IRTF, I'm having little trouble seeing a problem with the phrase "... with the IETF standards process or work done in the IETF community". I do agree with you that it should not cover IRTF work. In particular, the IESG should not check for conflict with a research group when doing an 3932bis check for a document. It is, however, a feature that we cover more IETF work than just the pure standards work.

Unbound it can cover much, much more than IETF standards work.  In fact,
one could make the case that it covers the IRTF (since much IRTF work is
done in the standards community.

Now I do not follow you. My perception is not that the IRTF work is done in the standards community. Unless, of course, you simply refer to the collection of IETF and IRTF meeting participants as the "IETF community". Or if you think of the many people who do both standardization and research work. In my opinion, the IRTF and IETF are still distinct entities, despite mixed participation. I think the definition of the IETF and the IRTF is quite clear.

I don't believe IESG review should
cover conflicts in the IRTF (or IAB or IETF Trust or ISOC or with other
Independent Submissions authors...)

I agree, but I do not believe the words in the document imply this.

I came up with some ways of changing the text, e.g., just saying "work done in the IETF" and dropping the word "community". However, is not clear to me that any other words couldn't be misunderstood in the similar manner. In addition, if we dropped the word community, would this mean that a BOF that is about to be chartered as an official working group would not count as an IETF activity yet?

Jari