Re: Request for community guidance on issue concerning a future meeting of the IETF

I have helped setup one and attended another conference in Beijing and
have attended one conference in Hong Kong.

All of them were technical by nature, but not nearly as large as the
IETF.  Nor did any have the potential of political debate that might
arise in the IETF.

Personally I found the events in Beijing to be culturally more
interesting and getting around and things to see in Beijing much better
and the food and hotels were cheaper (airfare to Beijing was higher).

One event did have some Chinese government official attendance.  We had
no problems.  There were no warnings about "watch what you said".  From
my point of view it wasn't even a consideration or an issue.

Perhaps another consideration is the issue of Visa's.  I thought that
Visa's (at least for the US) were not required for Hong Kong or Macau,
but they are for Beijing.

I really think that there is less worry about the control of speech
issue than with the logistics.

	geoff

PS - My internet connection (to most sites :-) was actually better from
Beijing. Disclaimer - My personal experience - you connection may vary.