Re: draft-housley-iesg-rfc3932bis and the optional/mandatory nature of IESG notes

On 9/14/09 10:13 AM, "RJ Atkinson" <rja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On  14 Sep 2009, at 10:00, Polk, William T. wrote:
>> IMHO, the current text places a responsibility on the IESG to deal
>> with
>> "exceptional circumstances" but fails to provide the tools to
>> execute that
>> responsibility.  After 27 years in government, I have a lot of
>> experience
>> with assignment of responsibility without authority, and none of it
>> was
>> positive.
>
> It is interesting to better understand your perspective.
>
> I would have read the "current text" in a nearly inverted meaning:
>    providing "authority to deal with someone trying to make an
>    'end run' around the IETF in some area of current IETF effort",
>    by requesting the RFC-Editor to add an IESG note in such a case,
>    but not requiring the IESG to do so.

It is a fair observation... The word "responsibility" doesn't appear, so
that is just the way I interpret it.  Since this option is reserved for
"exceptional" cases, I guess I think the IESG would have an obligation to
address the issue, but that may be an AD-specific reading.

> To me, the most relevant datum is that we have more than 15 years
> of operational experience with the current setup, and zero actual
> problems.

If we are lucky, this a painful exercise to establish process that will not
need to be tested in practice.  I certainly hope that is the case.

> [...stuff deleted here...]
>
>>> 3) As I understand things, and on this I might be a bit
>>>   out-dated as to the current state of things, there is
>>>   a concrete proposal to also add to each RFC (starting
>>>   in the near future and continuing forward) the specific
>>>   "Document Stream" (i.e. IETF, IRTF, IAB, Independent
>>>   Submission) via which a particular RFC was published.
>>>
>>>   I have no objection to that addition.  I don't think that
>>>   it is really necessary, given (1) and (2) above, but it
>>>   seems to make some folks more comfortable and I don't
>>>   immediately see any harm in that addition.
>>>

>> I actually think this is a very good addition, precisely because I
>> believe
>> (1) and (2) are insufficient.  If the reader reads and understands the
>> boilerplate, we have the 98% solution.
>>
>> (I personally have my doubts about reading and understanding the
>> boilerplate,
>
> This parenthetical bit just above is confusing, and (at least to me)
> non-obvious.
>
> Why would someone who can read sufficiently well to understand
> the content of an RFC have trouble distinguishing between the
> "Status of this Memo" texts AND also have trouble understanding
> the RFC's "Category" field ?

It's not that the reader can't, it's that they *won't*.  I don't believe
readers always read the boilerplate, and I don't think many readers bother
to research the difference between the categories.  I find even long time
members of the IETF Community can debate whether a particular document
should be PS vs. BCP vs. Informational for a long time, so I am sure that
the nuances will be lost on the casual reader.

However, my limited expectations of the reader are irrelevant beyond
confirming my pessimistic nature.  I think the test we should apply is for
people that will read and understand the boilerplate.  (Otherwise, they
wouldn't see the IESG note anyway!)

>> but I believe that is the
>> criteria the community would have the IESG apply: "Assuming the reader
>> understands the headers and boilerplate, is a note really needed?")
>
> I'm glad that you agree that seems to be the (most of the)
> community's perspective.
>
> [...stuff deleted here...]
>
>> [I wouldn't assume that anyone speaks for the IESG on this topic,
>> especially
>> me!  This represents my personal views only.]
>
> Fair enough.
>
> Thanks for the explanations.  At a minimum, I think I understand
> your perspective much better.

+1

Tim