Re: draft-housley-iesg-rfc3932bis and the optional/mandatory nature of IESG notes

On 2009-09-01 13:14, Ben Campbell wrote:

> On Aug 31, 2009, at 6:14 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

>>> +1 , including the "IETF consensus call" part.
>>
>> I don't understand how IETF consensus is relevant to a non-IETF document.
>
> Can't the IETF can have a consensus that a non-IETF document relates to
> other IETF work in some way?

Well, yes, but that's a decision we have historically chosen to
trust the IESG to take. I see no evidence that that has been a problem,
and I didn't think Jari was reopening that aspect.

>> In fact the answer to Jari's question appears to be a matter of logic,
>> not of opinion. The IESG, which acts for the IETF, logically cannot
>> determine anything about the contents of a non-IETF document. So the
>> inclusion of an IESG note can only be a request.
>
> How would you expect the RFC editor to evaluate such a request? Under
> what circumstances would it be reasonable to refuse to include it?

Well, in the future it will be the Independent Series Editor. I would
expect him/her to take such a decision just like an academic journal
editor would decide how to deal with a critical review. I'd expect that
in the large majority of cases, the ISE would agree to the request,
and would only consider refusing it if he/she concluded that the IESG was
showing unreasonable bias.

    Brian