RE: AD review of draft-zorn-radius-pkmv1-04.txt

Alan DeKok [mailto:aland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] writes:

> Glen Zorn wrote:
> > But none of the Attributes mentioned in Appendix B have anything to
> do with
> > RADIUS security as I understand it.  Can you explain?
>
>   From the document:
>
>    Appendix B includes a
>    listing of complex attributes used within [RFC2865], [RFC2868],
>    [RFC2869], [RFC3162], [RFC4818], and [RFC4675].  The discussion of
>    these attributes includes reasons why a complex type is acceptable,
>    or suggestions for how the attribute could have been defined to
>    follow the RADIUS data model.
>
>   The intent of Appendix B is to explain what is *wrong* about the use
> of complex attributes in previous RFCs.

You seem to be honing you mastery of the non sequitur ;-).  My original
question was:

<quote>
> > Yeah. I've always been a bit uncomfortable with the "security
> > functionality" escape clause in the RADIUS Design Guidelines draft.
> > Lots of things can reasonably be claimed to be "security related". I
> > would have preferred the exception to be crafted a bit narrower,
> > just for this reason. But, unless wording of Design Guidelines is
> > changed, you have a legitimate argument.
>
> I believe the intent was "related to RADIUS security".

This statement puzzles me: section 2.1.3 of the design guidelines document
says:

   As can be seen in Appendix B, most of the existing complex attributes
   involve authentication or security functionality.  Supporting this
   functionality requires code changes on both the RADIUS client and
   server, regardless of the attribute format.  As a result, in most
   cases, the use of complex attributes to represent these methods is
   acceptable, and does not create additional interoperability or
   deployment issues.

But none of the Attributes mentioned in Appendix B have anything to do with
RADIUS security as I understand it.  Can you explain?
</quote>

How does your response relate to my original question?