RE: review of draft-zorn-radius-pkmv1-04.txt

Bernard Aboba [mailto://bernard_aboba@xxxxxxxxxxx] writes:

> > encapsulation using RFC 2548 MPPE-Key attributes...
>
> I was unclear about how this is supposed to work. Is the idea to apply
> the MPPE-Key encryption mechanism to the attribute specified
> in the draft,

No.

> or is the idea to actually use the MPPE-Key attributes
> themselves?

Yes.

> If the former, more detail should be provided. If the latter,
> is it necessary to define two attribute formats or would it be simpler to
> go with one?

The PKM-AUTH-Key Attributes contains data that is to be delivered via 802.16
to the Subscriber Station (SS); the Key field in that attribute is encrypted
under the public key of the SS.  However, the BAS also needs to know the
key; that is what would be transferred (presumably and unfortunately) in the
MPPE-Send-Key Attribute.

> If the RFC 2548 MPPE-Key attributes are used, is the format
> the same as that defined in RFC 2548 (just a wrapped key) or is the
wrapping
> applied to a complex attribute?

Just a copy of the contents of the Key field in the PKM-AUTH-Key Attribute.

> > a four octet Integer should be used instead of a two octet data type
> > (which doesn't exist in RADIUS)
>
> As I recall, the security exemption didn't apply to creation of new RADIUS

> data types, correct?

It's a 2 octet string.