Re: [TLS] Last Call: draft-ietf-tls-extractor (Keying Material Exporters for Transport Layer Security (TLS)) to Proposed Standard

At 3:15 PM -0400 7/20/09, Dean Anderson wrote:
>I am against this standard because of its patent encumbrances and
>non-free licencing terms.

In the past, I think that Dean Anderson has stated that he is not a lawyer (although I can't find the specific reference). Note that the statement above is legal advice: he is saying that a particular protocol is encumbered. Readers of this thread may or may not want to listen to his legal advice.

>  The working group did not get any clear
>answers on what particular patents this draft may infringe, but a patent
>holder (Certicom) did assert an IPR disclosure (1004) listing many
>patents.

That statement did not say "we have a patent that encumbers the specific documents in question".

>  We have no alternative but to accept the Certicom disclosure
>statements as meaning that the TLS Extractor draft is patent-encumbered
>without a universal, free defensive license.

Who is "we"? Dean Anderson is not a leader in the IETF, nor of the TLS protocol or developer community. "We" have plenty of alternatives, for almost any value of "we" that make sense here.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium