Re: Last Call: draft-dusseault-impl-reports (Guidance on Interoperation and Implementation Reports) to BCP

At 9:50 AM -0700 5/26/09, Lisa Dusseault wrote:
>That's an excellent question, but I think like so many others it has
>to fall under the judgement of the person writing the implementation
>report.  Is it OK to just test 2 implementations or is it important to
>test 2 servers and 2 clients?  It might be possible to go to an
>interoperability forum and test 15 different implementations, yet if
>that's a protocol for which there's a sizable *other* community that
>doesn't implement a required feature, that ought to be noted in the
>implementation report.
>
>I'm hoping that by putting the onus on the writer of the report to
>carefully characterize interoperability, that we can encompass many
>such judgement questions.  On the flip side, if we tried to address
>every such judgement question, we couldn't possibly foresee every
>corner case.
>
>Do you have any suggestions for criteria that could be broadly
>applicable and useful?

One possible criterion would be "if you considered multiple implementations but focused on a subset for the report, at least discuss the wider set somewhere in the report". That could include a simple list of all the implementations considered, but also might include reasons for subsetting (some of the ones left out had difficult admin UIs, had licensing issues, and so on).

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium