Security of BGP Re: Status of the 16-bit AS Number space

Looks to me that we have an obscurity based 'security' system going on there.

The security of the system depends on various net-ops using their
skill and judgment to discriminate between purported updates. Such
systems tend to fail catastrophically once there is an incentive to
attack them.

At RSA there was a presentation on security holes in IPSEC and SSH. In
the IPSEC case the response 'from the IETF' (i.e. from a well known
individual speaking on his own behalf) was that the security issues
with using IPSEC without authentication were well known and that this
is not new. To which the reply came, well why did you continue to make
support for encryption only mandatory?

I think we will have the exact same set of events here. The security
problems in BGP are well known but nothing will be done to actually
fix the running code until there is a disaster. At which point some
Kaminsky type will put together an attack that is dismissed by the PR
flacks as 'not new', which will hopefully then result in the question
'well why didn't you fix it then'.

Novelty is an important trick for the academy. We have to remember
that it is not an important objective for engineers. The original
objective of the IETF was research. Now we have an entirely different
mission - sustaining a network the is critical infrastructure. Yet our
design processes are unchanged and we still have no concept of
maintenance.

There is unfortunately a naive view that we can solve the BGP security
issue by simply sprinkling some IPSEC pixie dust on it. I think that
view is based on a profound misunderstanding of what is possible with
a packet layer security protocol. Key agreement and crypto-packaging
are trivial problems that can be solved by a moderately competent grad
student. The hard part is the problem that IPSEC never solved, how to
establish the trust context. And once you look at that problem you
soon realize that IPSEC is the wrong tool entirely as the routing
problem requires you to take an accountability approach which in turn
requires you to work at the message level.

It would be nice to think that we will deal with this problem in some
other way than waiting for it to break. But we wont.

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 5:37 PM, john heasley <heas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Wed, May 06, 2009 at 08:49:42AM +0200, Mans Nilsson:
>> >     Is the 15ms moritorium excessive?
>>
>> No. Perhaps even short. A month should be appropriate. Those who update
>> their filters based on RIR data with some support system assistance do
>> so daily/weekly. Those who have manually updated filters are losing
>> this battle already, and those who accept any from any are utterly lost
>> (but in this particular instance in ignorant bliss).
>
> That is the "disservice" that I had in mind.
>
> ASNs I returned nearly 10 years ago have not been reassigned.  Surely
> sufficient is far fewer than 10 years.  16 bit exhaustion is magnified by
> policy.
>
>> Only clue helps these cases; no moratorium will ever save them.
>>
>> --

New Website: http://hallambaker.com/
View Quantum of Stupid podcasts, Tuesday and Thursday each week,
http://quantumofstupid.com/