Re: Internet Society joins Liberty Alliance Management Board: Why?

Hannes Tschofenig wrote:
> Hi Joel,
>
>> Hannes,
>>
>> Two mostly rhetorical questions...
>>
>> Hannes Tschofenig wrote:
>>> As you might have noticed, the WebSSO Identity Management
>> space is not
>>> running out of organizations and groups. Someone could, for example,
>>> come up with the question why ISOC did not join the MIT Kerberos
>>> Consortium (see http://www.kerberos.org/), as Kerberos is a
>> technology
>>> developed within the IETF, or to support technologies like OpenID,
>>> OAuth, etc. that are closer to the Internet deployment.
>>>
>>> I am sure your team had a lot of conversations with the IAB on what
>>> direction would be better for the Internet (with respect to the
>>> creation of an identity layer) but I fear that many in the IETF
>>> community are at best not informed about what you are doing and why
>>> you believe that this is heading into the right direction.
>> I find it somewhat interesting that we would perceive the ISOC
>> as being responsible to the IETF in this regard.
>
> Responsible is not the right term. A bit better synchronized would be nice.
>
>> The IETF is
>> not the only place to do standards.
>
> Everyone knows that. Even the ITU-T is working on identity management ...
>
>> Is the IETF the right
>> place to do this work?
>
> [By 'this' I assume you mean 'work on IdM']
>
> I wonder why you think that the work on identity management could not
> something the IETF should we focusing on?
> Folks who participate in the IETF do their work on identity management in
> other organizations.
>
> It would be useful todo an analysis on why the IETF isn't suitable for
> dealing with some of the application layer / security work that happen
> currently outside the IETF:
> * Is it a problem with the persons (lack of knowledge, for example)?
> * Is it possible that some folks don't want to wait 5 years till a
> specification gets finished?
> * Maybe they have problems with our IPR policy?

Maybe the IETF is altogether the wrong place to do public policy? I
don't think it's the case that there is no intersection, Or that there
are other more appropiate places to do some kinds of work. However when
I read something like Nist 800-63 obviously I see the input of people I
recognize there so I don't belive that it goes unrepresented in this
organziation...

> Would be really interesting to understand these types of things a bit
> better. Don't you think so?

Would I like us to be more mindful of our limitations? Absolutely.

We might consider for example how we managed to make such a hash of IDN.

>> How go are we historically at public policy?
>
>>> If ISOC wants to understand what "managed identity" will
>> mean for end
>>> users then maybe a discussion within the IETF would help to get a
>>> better understanding as some of us have been working on this
>> subject for a while.
>>> One could even claim that the IETF is also a pretty open forum to
>>> discuss these types of things, particularly when they have a high
>>> relevance for the Internet. Did nobody come up with the idea
>> about how
>>> the IETF could be more actively involved in this space?
>> I give you the IETF 65 and 66 dix/wae bof/dicusssions... What
>> were the outcomes? Do the right people even come to the IETF?
>
> Don't ask me. I am still puzzled about the lack of actions.
> After the 2nd BOF I had the impression that everything was going fine.

If I recall there was little support for the wide scope of work.
Particpants moved on and nothing came of it in the IETF.

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dix/current/msg00863.html

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dix/current/msg00834.html