Re: Internet Society joins Liberty Alliance Management Board: Why?

My concern regarding this announcement is the fact that it gives support to a misguided effort by Liberty Alliance. I think it is somewhat irresponsible for the ISOC to actively support an effort without first engaging the community at large to fully understand the dynamics of the identity communities involved.

The people behind the IDtbd effort have been going around trying to sell this effort for a while. The reality is that at this point, the communities behind two of the most successful identity related protocols, OAuth and OpenID, have rejected this effort by Liberty, including many of the individual companies that support these communities.

I find it personally offensive that Liberty have been going behind the OAuth's community's back trying get corporations to move their OAuth and OpenID efforts to IDtbd instead of the communities that drive these efforts forward.

IDtbd is an effort to create a full-blown standard body to manage all identity related protocols, with its own set of IPR rules, process, and governance. They seek to nullify existing communities by positioning themselves as the authority in the space. Supporting this effort directly contradicts the current IETF effort to form an OAuth working group.

EHL