Re: References to Redphone's "patent"

Lawrence:

I think we are close to intellectual agreement([0]), but see below. (Nothing to do about my personal position as an [---] advice provider.)

Lawrence Rosen wrote:

Thierry Moreau wrote:

Check by yourself, I do not provide
professional advice in here.

And that's why I made my suggestion that we do these analyses in a
professional manner! Too many patent-savvy attorneys (and their companies?)
expect the community to decide these things in a random fashion. The
IETF--collectively--needs professional advice, including from you.
I will allow that you speak for yourself and offer no guarantees or
warranties. But expert attorneys need to give us their expert opinions about
the effects of specific patents on our specific work.

That's why I'm so irritated that the previous IPR WG, since disbanded
(fortunately), refused even to discuss a patent policy for IETF. Of course
such studied ignorance can lead to community displays of confusion and
anger. Hence the FSF campaign and others like it; entirely justified.

Maybe s/justified/to be expected/? I don't quite follow how the FSF campaign may be justified if the underlying patent application details has been ignored.

If among the high volume e-mails triggerd by the FSF there was one based on "finer investigation and analysis", I would expect the IESG to count this one as an IETF community participation. Simon, as a GnuTLS project leader, stated he did not read the patent.

You seem to suggest that "studied ignorance" should be fixed at the IETF/IESG institution level, and until done, the institution gets what it deserves (i.e. is hurt by FSF and othe campaigns as expected).

I'm comfortable with either way, fighting studied ignorance at the participant or institution level.

- Thierry Moreau

[0] "intellectual agreement" is distinct from "agreement" as understood by a lawyer and "agreement" in the terminology used in UP patent application 11/234,404 - by the way it's Friday afternoon!