Re: Review of draft-ietf-tls-authz-extns-07

Simon Josefsson wrote:

When evaluating whether to implement a particular technology, you need
to evaluate all the risks.  The text of patent (applications) helps in
the evaluation.  My point is that the actions of patent holders is
significantly more relevant.

Dear Simon:

Interesting, and completely new to me.

Do you have any guidelines / methodology / evaluation criteria / sources of precedents or any other "sources of law"? According to those, one could turn emprircal-observations-of-patent-holder-actions into a) an evaluation whether to implement and/or b) an evaluation whether to adopt as an IETF document (standards track / informational / experimental).

Perhaps there is some form of non written IPR etiquette.

Perhaps you have an intuitive talent at this type of analysis and you are the Oracle in the present instance, i.e. you made the evaluation and then the FSF started its campaign.

May I invite you politely to bring some form of rationality to this. I am confident that you have such potential.

In the meantime, I stubbornly stick to my reading of the IPR disclosure 1026 section 3 along with the US patent application 11/234,404 independent claims as amended on 2008/01/25. I hereby acknowledge that this action may be detrimental to future evaluations of my actions with respect to the IPR etiquette as you may have intuitive knowledge.

Regards,

--

- Thierry Moreau

CONNOTECH Experts-conseils inc.