Do not approve patent-encumbered TLS-authorization

I am writing in opposition to the proposed TLS authorization standard which is encumbered by a RedPhone patent.

Unless the RedPhone patent threat is removed entirely with a royalty-free license for all users, this proposal must be rejected.

I understand that in February 2006 a TLS authorization standard was introduced and RedPhone revealed that they had applied for a patent which covered the proposed standard. This patent would require anyone using the proposed standard to first purchase a license from RedPhone. RedPhone will be in a position to control who may implement the proposed TLS authorization standard. This is unacceptable as it risks keeping free software from implementing this protocol. The IETF should continue to reject the proposed standard unless RedPhone unambiguously provides a royalty-free license for all users so that we can use the protocol in freedom.

J.B. Nicholson-Owens