Re: [Fwd: Last Call: draft-hoffman-dac-vbr (Vouch By Reference) to Proposed Standard]

>> What about senders from small emerging market countries having a very
>> hard time getting any widely accepted assurance group to vouch for them?
>
>Also in more mature markets, not all of the existing companies and
>universities running their own mail servers will be eager to spend
>$5000/year on a vouch.

Sheesh.  The point of having a standard is to make it easy to
interoperate.  That means that anyone who wants to set up a VBR
vouching service can do so, and anyone who wants to use your vouching
service can also do so by adding a line to a config file.  I certainly
have no intention of paying anyone $5000 to get mail from my tiny
system delivered.

Like Dave, I don't see any reason to expect one economic model or
another to predominate, and no reason at all to expect there to be
only a small oligoply set of providers.  Although I think that VBR is
a swell idea, it also seems rather a stretch to expect that it would
ever become so popular that you couldn't get mail delivered without
it.

In the near term, the most likely usage I see is for phish resistance.
If organizations like the FDIC were to publish a VBR list of the
domains of their genuine member banks, that would make it easier to
have a mail system put a flag on suitable signed incoming mail to say
"this is really from a bank."

R's,
John