Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: The IETF Trustees invite your comments on ...

John Levine <johnl at iecc dot com> wrote:
Nonetheless, I can't help but seeing angels dancing on pins here. > We're worrying about situations in which someone contributes material > to the IETF that ended up in an RFC, then later goes to court and > claims to be shocked and injured that someone else used his material > in ways that RFCs are routinely used, i.e., someone acts like a > complete jerk.
It could happen.  Remember that some people who participate in a WG, and contribute one or two bits of information that make their way into the RFC, are unhappy overall with that group's rough consensus.  Not all "contributions" are positive or direct; an author might add wording specifically to ward off a rogue interpretation that someone in the WG "contributed."  If you think this is improbable, read some of the appeals that the IESG has had to address in the past 3 years or so.