Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: The IETF Trustees invite your review and comments on a proposed Work-Around to the Pre-5378 Problem

----- Original Message -----
From: "Russ Housley" <housley@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Tom.Petch" sisyphus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 10:36 PM

> Correction:  RFC 5378 was published on 10 November 2008.
> http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/pipermail/rfc-dist/2008-November/002142.html

Thanks for the correction.  I was about to point out that the latest draft
licence from the IETF Trust refers in 5c to material published 'before November
10, 2008' but this now makes sense.

( In passing, the reference to November 12th was a mistake on my part; I was
looking at Ed's announcement which spoke of the new rules coming in force
'today' and which my e-mail client tells me is November 12th.  I should of
course have looked at the e-mail headers and seen that he submitted the e-mail
so as to generate
 by core3.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 8C51A28C173;
 Tue, 11 Nov 2008 15:40:08 -0800 (PST)'
which for GMT or places West is November 11th:-(

Whatever, November 10th it is.

What then is post-5378?  Is it material published on or after November 10th?

Tom Petch

> Russ
>
> At 11:20 AM 1/14/2009, Russ Housley wrote:
> >Tom:
> >
> >RFC 5378 was published on 11 November 2008, and it went into effect
> >on that date.  Pre-5378 material refers to contributions that were
> >made before the BCP went into effect.  I do not believe that anyone
> >tracked the posting time at a finer granularity than a day.
> >
> >Russ
> >
> >The At 04:41 AM 1/14/2009, Tom.Petch wrote:
> >>Russ
> >>
> >>I would like greater clarity about the meaning of pre-5378.
> >>
> >>Ed's original announcement said that the new regime was in effect from 12
> >>November 2008 (no time specified).
> >>
> >>Ed's revised text uses 'before 10 November 2008' (no time specified).
> >>
> >>Ed's original announcement also placed significance on 0100 UTC on
> >>16th December
> >>appearing to allow a grace period up until then during which 5378 was not in
> >>effect, since old boiler plate was acceptable.
> >>
> >>We appear to have four zones of time (up to 23:59:59 9th Nov, 10th/11th Nov,
> >>12th Nov sometime to 00:00:59 UTC 16th December, thereafter).
> >>
> >>Please define, in a legally binding manner, pre- and post- 5378.
> >>
> >>After which, we may need transitional arrangements for people who
> >>posted in the
> >>middle two time zones, particularly for those who published in the first two
> >>weeks of December, thinking that they had a waiver and now find that they
may
> >>have claimed rights in their Contribution that they will never
> >>possess (because
> >>it contains old text from earlier Contributions).

<snip>