Re: [taugh.com-standards] Re: Review of draft-ietf-dkim-ssp-08

At 12:02 03-01-2009, Dave CROCKER wrote:
This thread's taking place on the main IETF list, so it's probably worth noting some deeper issues that your observations raise:

1. Should an adjunct protocol modify core semantics of the primary protocol, rather than add semantics to it? If yes, when yes and when no?

The adjunct protocol shouldn't modify core semantics if it is built upon the primary protocol.

Cavalierly modifying core semantics creates incompatible variants, and distributes their definition into unlikely places.

Yes.

2. If a protocol has a features that remain unexercised for a long time, when is it appropriate to deprecate it? To make the exercise a bit more challenging, take note of situations in which the protocol is modeling well-established behavior from elsewhere in the world, but which nonetheless is not a behavior that has (yet) shown up in use of the protocol.

There is a difference between features that remain unexercised and features that are obsolete. If we want to depreciate a feature during a protocol update, we make a case for it.

What we have here is a case of a protocol's supplying functional variety that models the real-world, but which has remained virtually unused for 30 years. One can easily argue that the deeper "problem" is that Internet Mail remains a limited functionality that will yet expand to fill the roles we know -- from the paper world -- are yet needed. But even if we restrict the historical review to the start of the mass market Internet (1994) we are still looking at 15 years of not expanding into that available functionality. Failure to use a feature for that long makes a strong case for deprecating it.

If we are going to use that line of argument, we would depreciate a lot of features which seem unused because well-known mail clients do not implement them. I don't see a strong case as there are some mail clients that implement the feature.

Regards,
-sm