RE: The internet architecture

> >> It ought to be, but unfortunately we have confounded the transport
> >> entity
> >> namespace with the network entity namespace with the point of
> attachment
> >> namespace.
> >
> > Not really. Many applications are actively managing their network
> connections, and for a good reason. A network connection is not an
> interface to an abstract "unified network". On the contrary, a network
> interface implements a contract with a specific network.
>
> It seems to me that you're agreeing with me. It's exactly because the
> three
> namespaces I mentioned are mashed together by TCP/IP that applications
> have
> to do what you describe, rather than just saying "open a connection to
> Christian's laptop."

If "Christian's laptop" is the "transport" name space, and if the network entity namespace use different network entity names to designate the various "network contracts", then, yes, we probably agree. Although I am not sure that we should place too much emphasis on the name of physical entities like "Christian's laptop". What if the application process migrates from my laptop to my desktop?

-- Christian Huitema