Re: The internet architecture

Title: Re: The internet architecture
John Day  -  le (m/j/a) 12/29/08 4:24 PM:
No it isn't Transport's job.  Transport has one and only one purpose: end-to-end reliability and flow control.

"Managing" the resources of the network is the network layer's job.
Reliably... and also efficiently.
To transmit as fast as possible, including with load sharing among several parallel paths, the flow control function (i.e. the transport layer, right?) has, in my understanding, to know how many address couples it uses.

Whether the transport layer can delegate some of its flow control function to an intermediate layer is IMO a terminology question.

Although, these distinctions of Network and Transport Layer are . . . shall we say, quaint.
Yes, indeed.

Multihoming is fundamentally a routing problem.  SCTP tries to claim to solve it by changing the definition, an old trick.
I am not sure what the two definitions are.
Being more specific would be helpful.
... Multihoming has nothing to do with what has traditionally been called the "Transport Layer."

It is a problem of routing not be able to recognize that two points of attachment go to the same place. ...
In my understanding, knowing that two locators are those of  a common destination is  the normal result from getting these locators by translation of an identifier, e.g. a domain name.

RD