Re: IPR Questions Raised by Sam Hartman at the IETF 73 Plenary

Dear John;

From your email :

On Dec 17, 2008, at 12:16 PM, John C Klensin wrote:

	(iii) Rewrite the document to remove any copyright
	dependencies on text whose status is uncertain or for
	which rights transfers are significantly difficult.

This is a dangerous solution, and may not be one at all.

My mantra on these issues is : Engineers should not try and be lawyers.
(And, lawyers should not try and be engineers.) I try to follow it personally, as I am definitely not a lawyer (and, of course, I am not referring to anyone who is cross-trained).

But I do know this - merely rewriting a document is not necessarily enough to remove copyright dependancies. J.K. Rowling, for example, won a suit against someone who wrote a Lexicon of
her work :

<http://www.fictionaddiction.net/Publishing-Industry-News/rowling-wins-copyright-infringement-lawsuit.html >

If this actually became an issue, it would be decided by a court, and I would not regard either myself or the vast majority of IETF contributors as competent to judge how a court would react to any given rewriting of an RFC
if it went to trial.

Regards
Marshall