Re: The internet architecture

Stig Venaas wrote:
> I would have liked some standard API for looking up SRV records. It's
> hard to use SRV in portable applications.

In general there is a need for a standard, general purpose API for DNS
queries - one that lets you query for arbitrary record types.  It also
needs to be thread safe and to work in an

> One could possibly extend getaddrinfo() or make something a bit similar.
> getaddrinfo() is perhaps already becoming too complex though. A neat
> thing with extending getaddrinfo() could be to make existing code use
> SRV without changes. Not exactly sure if that is good or not...

It's not.  And I've heard rumors that some implementations of
getaddrinfo() already do this - which is a good reason to not use it at all.

Keith