Re: [BEHAVE] Lack of need for 66nat : Long term impact to application developers

Hi Eric,

I would like to be part of that group.

My little network is connected to the internet
via a NAT router and I could not live without
it because daily renumbering wont do.

On the other hand that NAT-box is the biggest
obstacle between my network and IPv6.

I would like to help design a NAT that is not
an obstacle but a stepping stone.

Kind regards
Peter

Eric Klein wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 7:07 AM, Fred Baker <fred@xxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:fred@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>

>     On Nov 21, 2008, at 9:39 PM, Tony Hain wrote:
>
>         The discussion today in Behave shows there is very strong
>         peer-pressure group-think with no serious analysis of the long
>         term implications about what is being discussed.
>

>     Yes, there is a very clear anti-NAT religion that drives a lot of
>     thought. It's not clear that any other opinion is tolerated.
>

> Fred,
>
> I pesonally would be open to a real discussion about the needs and then
> about the solution. But for now NAT has taken on religious connotations
> with those who are for it being as single minded as those who are
> against it.
>
> We need a team made up of both sides to sit down, spell out what are the
> functions of NAT (using v4 as a basis) and then to see if:
> 1. If they are still relevant (like number shortage from v4 is not the
> same issue under v6 for example)
> 2. Do they already exist in v6 without adding NAT
>
> Then we need to check:
> 1. Is there is a solution by using NAT
> 2. Is there is a better solution than using NAT
>
> Only then can we make a proper and informed decission on what is needed
> and what is unneeded legacy.
> Eric

Peter and Karin Dambier
Cesidian Root - Radice Cesidiana