Re: [73attendees] Is USA qualified for 2.3ofdraft-palet-ietf-meeting-venue-selection-criteria?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ole Jacobsen" <ole@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <dcrocker@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: <ietf@xxxxxxxx>; <73attendees@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2008 3:34 AM
Subject: Re: [73attendees] Is USA qualified for 2.3ofdraft-palet-ietf-meeting-venue-selection-criteria?

> Dave,
>
> The IAOC is aware of the situation with respect to visas for visitors
> from mainland China at this particular IETF meeting. Generally
> speaking, applicants are NOT refused visas, they just don't get a
> reply (or a visa) in time and they may never get a reply at all.

You are right. We can not get a reply at all. Most persons applied the visa in Sep.(almost 2 months in advance of the ietf meeting ).  As a rule of Visa office,
we can not check the status from the visa office during the period of our application. The only answer they will say is  "just wait, when the visa is available, you will get a notice. "  Normally, when the ietf meeting begins, sometimes we will get a call from visa office, which said "sorry since the meeting has already began, we can not issue the visa to you this time. pls apply it next time."

> We are not sure what happened this time, but we believe the "no reply"
> rate was much higher than normal and we will be working with various
> parties to try to make this easier in the future.

thanks.