Re: Secdir Review of draft-stjohns-sipso-05

On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 22:12:17 -0400
"Steven M. Bellovin" <smb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >     Steven> Note 7.3.1 on
> >     Steven> TCP considerations.  (Also note that 7.3.1 disagrees
> >     Steven> with 793 on the treatment of security labels in section
> >     Steven> 3.6 of 793.  At the least, this shoudl be noted.
> >
> > I had completely missed this.  I'll call out the section to the
> > transport ADs
> >
> I should have added: I think the new document is in fact more correct
> than 793 -- the 793 scheme would permit various forms of
> high-bandwidth covert channels to be set up.  This is an issue that
> was not nearly that well understood when 793 was written.  That said,
> it is a change to TCP, and needs to be treated as such.

Thinking further -- I suspect that the right thing to do here is for
someone to write a short, simple draft amending 793 -- it's handling of
the security option is simply wrong, independent of this draft.  I
wonder -- what TCPs actually implement even 793?  NetBSD doesn't; I
strongly suspect that no BSDs do.  Does Solaris?  Linux?