RE: I-D Action:draft-rfc-image-files-01.txt

Hi Bob, John,

I have read this draft and I support this (imho) very good idea. I don't
think there were any comments on -00.  An unmentioned added advantage of
this approach is that the figures in the image files will not be broken
by page breaks as sometimes happens.

I think I understand from this that it is possible to have a figure
without any corresponding ASCII art version (discussed end section 4.2)
- perhaps it is a good idea to have the example fig list cover this
case, i.e.,  "Figure 8: Foo .... *89"?

A future version, imho, would be enhanced by some well placed MUSTs (eg
sect 6, point 2 where the capitalized DO NOT appears, possibly other
places.)

In section 6 points 2 & 6. Re the placeholder discussion: I'd like to
hear what ietf tools people (e.g. xml2rfc) think about the bundling
question.   As this proposes at most 1 extra file/rfc (or draft), I
think bundling is  overkill.

I think it's worth considering whether to add a
"draft-rfc-image-files-xx.img.pdf" as an example and as a way to check
the tools changes (although I think there is a chicken and egg issue as
to how exactly to do this.)  This image file could contain figures that
are hard to do in ASCII.

I have some other minor comments:

1) last sentence of 4.2, i think there is a typo.  Consider s/need
have/need not have/ i.e., "Note that very simple ASCII artwork need not
have corresponding material in the image file."

2) in section 6 point 2 i think there is some extraneous text
"vspace/>[[anchor10:" in mid paragraph

3) section 9. i think there is some extraneous text "[[anchor14:"

Thanks,
Steve