RE: FW: IETF copying conditions

Harald Alvestrand wrote;
> - The discussion of permitting change to text was extensive and repeated.
> - The consensus of the working group was the compromise position now
> documented.
>
> I assert that if you want to claim that either of these two statements
> are false, YOU back it up with evidence. As it stands, you are making
> statements that I personally, as the WG chair who's tried to shepherd
> this process for the last 3 years, find to be crossing the border
> between uninformed speculation and assertions that I would have to take
> personal affront at.

Harald,

I certainly meant no insult to your efforts to shepherd an IPR group with a
*flawed charter* [1] to a conclusion with which I disagree. You and I
discussed this many times in-channel and back-channel, and you remember my
frustrations and my sympathy for your position then and now.

Indeed, we just wasted another thread arguing about the nonsensical
distinction between code and text and again heard some people assert it is
somehow relevant to the goal of pushing the IETF brand and seeking
consistency on standards.

The proposed IETF IPR policy allows the public to modify the code present in
IETF specifications but not to use that same specification to create
modified text to document that modified code! Does anyone here honestly
believe this is justified?

You admit: The working group took no vote. Nobody ever does in IETF. It is
thus possible for a small group of people who have the stomach to attend to
boring IPR discussions to come to an irrational conclusion.

Since there was never a vote, I retain the right to repeat my concerns.
You'll notice I've not tried to dominate this thread, but I was invited to
comment once again--and I did.

-1.

/Larry

[1] Failure to address patents; failure to identify the goals for IETF of a
revised copyright policy; failure to weigh benefits and costs to the public
of various alternatives.

P.S. I moved this back to ietf@xxxxxxxxx Even though some people there find
these battles over legal issues boring and distracting, this policy is the
guts of why we're here. It should be the entire organization that debates
the charter and results of a policy working group, not the working group
itself.