RE: Late Last Call Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-avt-rfc4749-dtx-update-01

Hi

Thank you for the review.
Below some answers.

Aurelien

[AS] I can do it.

>    Detection (VAD) algorithm, to determine if an audio frame contains
>    silence or actual audio.  During silence periods, the coder may
>    significantly decrease the transmitted bit rate by sending a small
>    frame called Silence Insertion Descriptor (SID), and then stop
>    transmission.  The receiver's decoder will generate comfort noise
>    (CNG) according to the parameters contained in the SID.
> This DTX/CNG
>    scheme is specified in [ITU-G.729.1-C].
>

> 3.  RTP Header Usage
>
>    If DTX is used, the first packet of a talkspurt, that is, the first
>    packet after a silence period during which packets have not been
>    transmitted contiguously, SHOULD be distinguished by setting the M
>
> Spencer (review): why not MUST here?

[AS] It is the wording from RFC 3551 (4.1).
It could be a MUST, but I saw no reason to be stronger than the RTP spec.

>    bit in the RTP data header to one.  The M bit in all other packets
>    MUST be set to zero.  The beginning of a talkspurt MAY be used to
>    adjust the playout delay to reflect changing network delays.
>    If DTX is not used, the M bit MUST be set to zero in all packets.
>

> 4.  Payload Format
>
>    So the complete payload consists of a payload header of 1
> octet (MBS
>    and FT fields), followed by zero or more consecutive audio
> frames at
>
> Spencer (clarity): Could you expand these names, as you
> expanded "M" as "Marker" previously?

[AS] The previous sentence is "The payload format is the same as in [RFC4749], with the option to add a SID at the end."
MBS and FT are defined in RFC 4749, so it is just a recall, to make clear that it is the same payload header.
I could expand MBS and FT, but it would make a long sentence, and may not help that much.

>    the same bit rate, followed by zero or one SID.
>
>    To be able to transport a SID alone, that is, without actual audio
>    frames, we assign the FT value 14 to SID.  The actual SID
> size (2, 3,
>    or 6 octets) is inferred from the payload size.
>
> Spencer (clarity): It would be good to say this more
> formally, I think (is the size just what's left over after
> all other fields are parsed?) I can guess what this means,
> but I'm guessing.

[AS] Yes, it can be more explicit.

> 5.2.1.  DTX Offer-Answer Model Considerations
>
>    The offer-answer model considerations of [RFC4749] fully apply.  In
>    this section we only define the management of the "dtx" parameter.
>
>    The "dtx" parameter concerns both sending and receiving, so both
>    sides of a bi-directional session MUST have the same DTX
> setting.  If
>    one party indicates it does not support DTX, DTX must be
> deactivated
>    both ways.  In other words, DTX is actually activated if, and only
>    if, "dtx=1" in the offer and in the answer.
>
>    A special rule apply for multicast: the "dtx" parameter becomes
>
> Spencer (clarity): s/apply/applies/

[AS] OK. Will fix.

>    declarative and MUST NOT be negotiated.  This parameter is
> fixed, and
>    a participant MUST use the configuration that is provided for the
>    session.
>

> 7.  Security Considerations
>
>    DTX introduces no new security issue.
>
> Spencer (review): This may be obvious, but a sentence on why
> you think it's true would be appreciated.

[AS] OK. I could say that DTX is already expected in RTP spec, so nothing new.