Re: Call for review of proposed IESG Statement on Examples

Hi Stephane,

See below:

Stephane Bortzmeyer skrev:
> On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 10:34:46AM +0200,
>  Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
>  a message of 122 lines which said:
>
>>> I note with even more interest that reservation of "codepoints"
>>> for example or other documentation purposes would violate existing
>>> IESG statements and rules about conservation of scarce resources
>>> (where scarcity is an issue) or would require negotiation with
>>> other bodies.
>>>
>> Which IESG statements are you referring to?
>
> The rules I'm personally concerned about when reading the proposed
> IESG statement are:
>
> RFC 5236, section 3.3 (which mentions "scarcity")

Do you mean another RFC, that RFC is Improved Packet Reordering Metrics
and Section 3.3 is the definition of Displacement metric.

> RFC 5237 for an example in a densely populated field

Yes, I am aware that there exist codepoints where there are little space
to assign values for example usage. That is why this is recommendations,
not strict requirements. And if you are writing a new protocol and you
think there will be need to examples including a particular field, then
you can create the example codepoints at time of defining the field.

I hear the message that we need to be clearer on that it might not be
possible and the other alternatives is to be explored.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

IETF Transport Area Director & TSVWG Chair